I’m Cheryl Malone, and Malone Dance Academy is my life’s work.
I am from Ireland and am the owner and artistic director of Malone Dance Academy Studios Ltd, Dundalk and Carrickmacross , Ireland. I began dancing at the age of 3 and immediately fell in love with the art form. I knew from an early age my passion is helping others achieve their goals and of course dance! In my teenage years I became determined to become a dance teacher. I graduated in 2005 from Queens University, Belfast with BA HONS degree in English and Drama, whilst simultaneously achieving my major ballet examinations and my Associate Dance Teaching examinations. I opened my own academy in the summer of 2005.
As my dance school flourished I wanted to develop my skills as a teacher by gaining various other qualifications. In 2011 I achieved my PGCE in Dance Education which allowed me to become a Lecturer in Performing Arts at the Southern Regional College, Northern Ireland for four years (2013 – 2017). In September 2017 I decided that, as my academy was expanding rapidly, it was time to give it 100% commitment and I took time out from lecturing.
I also developed a love for yoga and Acro yoga over the years which has become a very strong element at the studio. I became a yoga student after the birth of my daughter Juliette in 2009 to help recover from an injury. After a few months of training, I became inspired by how yoga could compliment the training of the dancer. In 2014 I decided to embark on a yoga teacher training course and completed this qualification in 2015. I actively use yoga with my dancers as a means of cross training their bodies to create more balanced and stronger dancers.
I am very proud to be on the examining and teacher training team for Acrobatic arts, Canada. I believe passionately in Acrobatic Arts ethos of Safety and Technique and Strength and Flexibility. I am delighted to be able to share all my knowledge with my staff and students.
I am also a Teacher Assessor for BBO Dance, London.
My top 5 qualifications:
- European Examiner and course conductor for Acrobatic Arts, Canada
- Registered Teacher Status BBO Dance – Teaching Degree
- Level 6 Diploma Teaching in Lifelong learning sector: Dance (Trinity College London) PGCE
- Acrobatic Arts Module 1 & 2 Teacher Certification
- BA HONS DEGREE Drama & English, Queens University, Belfast 2
- Qualified ID Dance Contemporary Teacher
- The Royal Ballet School Covenant Garden, London – Teacher training Inspire Seminars
- Progressing Ballet Technique Training
- 200 hr Yoga teaching certificate – Santosha Yoga Studio
- Associate Teacher Qualification in Classical Ballet PTD –
- Student Teacher Qualification in Classical Ballet – PTD
- Level 2 Cheerleading coach – Uk Cheerleading Association
- Level 1 Teaching, Thinking & Learning Certificate (new UK qualification for college/university lecturers)
- Qualified children’s Yoga Teacher – Rainbow Yoga
13. Qualified Partner yoga teacher training – Rainbow Yoga.
- Zumba teacher training
I also hold other qualifications such as:
- First Aid at work Certificate
- Child Protection Certificate & Sport Ireland Safeguarding 1 Child Welfare.
- Health & Safety in the Workplace Certificate